Many people consider completing their own tax return forms. And frankly, most people are capable of accomplishing the task. But the real issues are:
Even at that, it is worth being somewhat informed on tax issues. To help you toward that end, we have posted articles on selected topics that we anticipate could be valuable to you. The secondary menus above will provide access to information on that specific topic. Miscellaneous articles are listed below.
- Life is short; do you really want to spend your limited descretionary time studying and working on taxes? (There are hundreds of changes in the tax laws each year, and many of them are complex or interact with other provisions of the tax law in complicated ways.)
- Once they are done, do you rest confidently that they are correct?
- Did you really save money this year? Or could you have overlooked something that cost you more than the cost of a professional?
- If you think you really saved money, given the hours you spent on your taxes, how much per hour did you really "work" for?
If you cannot find the information you are looking for, you may submit a question and we will do our best to both respond and post your question with its answer.
Each of the summaries below are a link to an article. Click on the summary to select it.
- Describes the medicare surtax created by the Affordable Care Act (which doesn't go to Medicare) on earned income above certain thresholds. Sep 5, 2013
- Congress has sweeteened the deal on making energy efficient improvements to your principle personal residence. Mar 8, 2009
- California is not quite as friendly to our military "heros" when it comes to withdrawals from qualified accounts. Nov 7, 2008
- Congress continues to work on the housing crisis. Here is some quick news about two bills under consideration. Apr 25, 2008
- Congress finally addressed the AMT problem, but only for one year. What does this mean to 2007? And how does this AMT work anyway? Dec 23, 2007
- Stalling on your taxes because you are a little short on money? There are a few things you should know, before you are hit with some really big penalties. Apr 13, 2007
- Even a simple mistake, or an unwise position on a tax return can have a very negative impact on immigration benefits. Nov 19, 2006
Page 1 2 3